First Megadeth Concert + Run for Your Lives New Jersey Gig Review

Health_Hazard**

Administrator
Admin
I've been busy this week! I would've written this sooner, but oh well. I had a lot of fun on September 5th. Seeing three bands in a single day is really memorable, especially for the first time. I'm incredibly thankful for the experience even if the bands weren't in their prime.

Megadeth were good despite having a short setlist. The current lineup was great. Dirk was absolutely terrific the entire time! The first song was Tipping Point, and the people around me got a little excited. It took me too long to realize that Megadeth didn't do a repeat setlist, as I was expecting to hear A Tout Le Monde live. After Tipping Point, Dave's struggled with singing, but I wasn't too surprised. Then Dave played She Wolf, and I started smiling since it sounded great live. In fact, I started thinking of the time he played that at Woodstock when Marty had short hair and stuck his tongue out for some reason.

I recorded bits of each song, but you can find better footage on YouTube and closer shots of the band since I sat higher up.

When the band played Sweating Bullets, Dave's voice didn't sound too bad. I personally believe any song from Megadeth's more commercial albums shouldn't be hard for Dave to sing. I don't have a good singing voice, but I sang along to Sweating Bullets. A lot more people cheered for that since it's really popular. The same happened with Symphony Destruction. I believe I heard some people in the pit chanting. When Dave said "watch him become a god," I tried impersonating Dave's voice and raised my arms in the air. I had been waiting months to do that. :)

Then out of nowhere, I heard The Conjuring, and it made me really happy! That song is so fucking good! Tornado of Souls was next, and it was cool to see Teemu and Dave shred together. I sometimes like to refer to Teemu as Dave's son since they seemed to get along pretty well and aren't that close in age. Afterward, Holy Wars was played, and it was a nice closer to a good performance. Megadeth rules!
 
Anthrax/Iron Maiden Review:

I was expecting traffic to be a bit of a mess, and it was. I nearly missed the entirety of Anthrax, but arrived just in time to hear the song Indians. Joey is my favorite frontman among the Big Four, and he sounded really good. Scott looked like he was having a good time. Eventually I realized I was sitting in the wrong seat, which explained why my view was a bit obstructed. Funny fuck up. On my way to my correct seat, I walked past a black guy. A bit unexpected but relatable. I'm the last person you'd expect to see at a metal gig, but I'm just doing something that makes me happy.

After Megadeth, I waited patiently and eagerly for Iron Maiden, and then the lights went off and it was on! I was too anxious to surprise myself with the setlist, so I knew what to expect. I kept a straight face, but I kept thinking about how I didn't want the gig to end. Looking back, I wish I could relive it again. No one around me had their phones out to record, unless they recorded a portion of a song. I briefly recorded a snippet of The Trooper and a shot of my favorite guitar duo (Adrian and Dave), and that was it. Also, when looking through a phone, the show appears blurrier than in person, or is that just me?

I consider Clive to be a better drummer than Nicko, but overall, Simon Dawson wasn't as bad as I expected. He's just doing his job at the end of the day, and he sounded much better in person than in videos. But he's not really a good successor.

Bruce sounded good for his age, and he tried hyping up the crowd, which were dull including half of the pit. During Powerslave, he shouted, "scream for me, Brazil," before saying America, then New Jersey. Another funny mishap. When Run to the Hills started, Janick really started goofing off, especially with Dave. He even did a small duck walk before running off. The setlist was good. Infinite Dreams was a nice addition, but I wish the Clairvoyant had been kept in. If another tour ever happens, I'd love to hear Tailgunner, Blood Brothers, or something not as popular.
 
Back
Top